Thursday, 10 March 2011

Referee MADNESS

"Hello. My name is Massimo Busacca, and I am a FIFA top referee from Switzerland."

[Hears loud laughter from the distance]

"Was that Arsène Wenger just now o_O ?

Anyway, I received many and harsh critique for my decision to send Arsenal's Robin van Persie off the pitch during the Champions League match against Barcelona.


First, let me say, that I did this within the rules. The law sez:

'Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by tactics such as:
[...]
- kicking the ball away or carrying it away with the hands after the referee has stopped play
[...]'
(Laws of the game, page 117)

As you can see, I had to give van Persie a yellow card. Unfortunately, it was his second...

Why am I telling you about this rule? Because I'm pretty sure that there are still many people who don't know about it...


Some said that my decision was too hard. But van Persie is a Dutchmen, and if you remember the World Cup final in South Africa, my decision was nothing against the behaviour of usual football players from the Netherlands *grin* ...


Others said that, if Messi had done the same, I wouldn't have given him his second yellow card...

Oooooooooooh, please. Messi is too busy with scoring goals. He just doesn't have the time to do stupid things like van
Persie.


So, that's what I wanted to say about this whole story. (Although the UEFA didn't allow me to speak about this matter, buuuut... there are always ways to share your thoughts like this here.)

Perhaps we will meet again. And if not: Learn the rules, you fools."

No comments:

Post a Comment